Sunday 22 June 2014

TOMATO TART



My signature cooking style is simple, quick & easy. So this is a little more labour intensive - but worth it I think!
Over the last few days I've made three versions of this tart, as I couldn't get it quite right. The first time the pastry crumbled everywhere, the second time the filling wasn't firm enough, But I was determined to keep going because I felt that it had potential ! Anyway, third time lucky. I'm pleased with the final version.


 My 90 yr old grandma was the taste tester for this & gave it a massive thumbs up, she couldn't believe it was GF & she wants another one please (although I admit she has always been my no 1 fan & thinks everything I do is brilliant in the way that only a grandma can!)

for the pastry base
225 g doves farm gluten free plain flour or similar
100 g sunflower spread
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
large pinch salt
(you could also add some fresh or dried herbs )

for the filling
250 g cream cheese or vegan cream cheese 
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sun dried tomato puree
125 g baby plum or cherry tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 180 c


1. Mix all the base ingredients together by hand or in a blender. You'll get a big fat ball of dough.
Roll out the pastry dough to roughly 5 mm thick. (I roll it out on baking paper as it makes it much easier to transfer to the flan dish.)
2. Grease a flan dish/ oven proof dish (the one I used was 20 cm in diameter) & transfer the pastry across. If you've rolled it out onto baking paper, just carry the paper across & flip it upside down over the pie dish.
3. Press the pastry gently into the pie dish. Trim off any excess pastry that is hanging over the edge of the dish with a knife. You can then go round pressing the edge with a fork if you want a neater finish.
If  the pastry collapses or you end up with cracks/ holes, just fill them in with the excess bits of pastry you have trimmed off.
4. Prick the pastry base a few times with a fork (to prevent any bubbles during cooking.)
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins.
6. Remove from the oven and set to one side to cool for a bit. (I find this prevents the undesired soggy bottom (don't turn the oven off, you're not done yet!)
7. Mix together the cream cheese and 3 tablespoons tomato pasta sauce or tomato puree,
spread over the pastry case, then cover with cherry tomatoes/ baby plum tomatoes, sliced in half.
8. Return to the oven for 20 mins. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with fresh herbs - I used basil- & serve.
If you leave to cool for a little it will be easier to get out in one piece, but if you can' wait and it cracks or crumbles, just call it deconstructed, & know that it will taste just as good !

 

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment