Tuesday 18 August 2015

VEGAN BLACK BEAN BROWNIES




Food fashion is much like any other fashion. Some things suit you & other things just don't. Courgetti instead of spaghetti is not my thing & I'm not a fan of cauliflower pizza either.
Black bean brownies never sounded that appealing to me - but I finally tried them in Jamaica. Late to the party but hooked ever since.
I always imagined them to be heavy and well beany! But they're really not, so if you want to give them a go, here's what to do.


PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 180c

INGREDIENTS

1 x 400g can black beans
70g white rice flour 
125g maple syrup
100g pear puree (or apple) 
50g rapeseed oil or light olive oil
50g cocoa powder
level teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or vanilla essence)

I weighed out the liquid ingredients (the rapeseed oil and the maple syrup) rather than using liquid measurements, because it's easier just to weigh it all out in the same bowl. less washing up too!
for the pear puree, I use clearspring, or you can use a jar of baby food fruit puree.

1  Drain & rinse the black beans.
2  Place into a blender with all the other ingredients and blitz.
3  Pour into a baking dish. I used a Pyrex baking dish that measures 18cm by 13cm. I place a sheet of greaseproof or baking paper on the bottom of the baking dish and grease the sides with light olive oil or rapeseed oil. Makes it easy to get out.
4  Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 mins. The top will be firm to the touch. leave to cool.
5  Remove from baking dish. Cut into slices.

I decorated these ones with dusted icing sugar to make them a bit prettier for the photos, but I wouldn't normally bother!



No comments:

Post a Comment